Posted on 06-22-2018
Why Should I Bring My Child To a Chiropractor?
Many people know the benefits of going into a chiropractor as an adult, in particular the elderly person, because as we age, we become more susceptible to back pain and issues that can affect our day-to-day life. As we know, chiropractic is one of the best solutions for pain. But what about babies and kids? They rarely ever experience back pain or aches. In this article we are going to talk about the benefits of chiropractic for babies and young kids, and how it could help for more than fixing back pain or helping with headaches.
The Nervous System is The Master Controller.
Since the nervous system controls the way we see the world and is always adapting to help us to experience all this life has to offer, as well as controlling things that we never have to think about doing (breathing, digesting, heart beating, etc.), it is equally important to understand that this system is stored within our spinal column. When the spine is misaligned, or subluxated, then problems begin to manifest way beyond back pain. This is especially prominent in young kids, some of the most common ailments being:
· Ear Infections
· Gastric Reflux
· Sleep issues
There are many, many more that can be added to the list, but these are just a few of the more prominent issues. Luckily, chiropractors are masters with influencing the nervous system in a positive way. By adjusting or removing interference within the spine, we can directly enhance and allow the nervous system to function in the most efficient way possible, which in turn can help tremendously with babies and kids experiencing many of these common issues.
How Do These Problems Occur?
- Although birth is a beautiful and amazing event, it is also traumatic for the child, as most hospital births result in a Cesarean Section (C-section) or being pulled and twisted by the head with forces up to 60lbs of pressure, or even being pulled out by clamps that wrap around their head. As you can imagine, this type of experience can be traumatic for the baby and put them into a state of sympathetic stress (fight-or-flight), and this stress can cause the baby to be “blown out” or completely unable to handle the day-to-day things that should be seamless and easy for them, such as feeding, sleeping, and pooping.1 These issues all manifest as a “colicky” baby, but in reality, their nervous system is just too stressed. This is where the Chiropractor comes in and removes the interference that was put on the child by adjusting the spine. Although we do not “treat" any of the symptoms listed earlier, it is not a surprise that many of the ailments they were dealing with seem to dissipate as soon as the interference is removed from the nervous system. So, if your child seems to be having any of these issues or just does not seem to be thriving in any way possible, go have them checked by a Chiropractor that is proficient in analyzing and removing subluxation (interference to the nervous system). Here is a list of the biggest benefits of chiropractic for kids
1. To promote proper growth and development and to limit health challenges such as issues with nursing and reflux.
2. To allow a child’s nervous system and spine to grow optimally and without interference. To reduce ear infections, bed wetting, asthma and allergies.
3. To improve a child’s immune system and digestive health and to limit colic and constipation.
4. To encourage nerve and brain development (neural plasticity). To promote proper perception and awareness preventing labels such as ADHD, Sensory Integration Disorder and other neurodevelopmental disorders.
5. To be proactive about your child’s overall health and wellbeing which will limit and support them through colds and infections and allow them to meet their optimal potential.1
“Spinal adjustments for infants and young children involve very light fingertip pressure to correct spinal misalignments. This amount of “force” is often not more than a finger touch. This is usually sufficient to restore mobility to spinal joints which have become locked and are causing interference to the normal nervous system function.”4 If you are interested in finding a Pediatric Certified Chiropractor in your area feel free to visit ICPA website3 and they will have a list of Chiropractors that can help to free your child’s nervous system and allow them to experience life to the fullest!
1. https :  ;//www.onelovechiropractic.co m/top-5-reasons-to-take-your-child-to-the-chiropracto r/
2. https :  ;//www.acatoday.or g/News-Publication s/ACA-News Archiv e/ArtMI D/572 1/ArticleI D/16 5/Safety-and-Effectiveness-of-Pediatric-Chiropractic
3. https :  ;//icpa4kids.co m/
4. http :  ;//pathwaystofamilywellness.or g/Chiropracti c/chiropractic-care-for-children.html